Monday, June 13, 2011

Just Walk Around

Ahhh. Summer. I am so happy to have more TIME to relax and enjoy the great outdoors. Like the mall, for instance.

Today I had a little free time to kill while my daughter was at day camp. Walking leisurely through the outdoor mall near my home, I happened to hear a young man (probably about 10 or 11 years old) say to his mom, "What are we going to do the rest of the time, just walk around?" Clearly, through the young man's perturbed intonation, the prospect of "just" walking around was not a good one.

I started to think about how much I love to just walk around. I also think it's important for young people, especially, (who are often in front of computers, TVs, or at planned activities) to take some time and just meander once in awhile. Have no set plan or destination. Just walk and see what you might find. Even here in Valencia, California, the epitome of suburbia, there are great sights to behold (some of the time, anyway).

Last week, for instance, while walking to pick up my daughter from school, I saw the most adorable baby hawk. His feathers were soft, fluffy and white; he almost looked like an owl. He was standing on a wall at eye level, close enough to touch. His nest, however, was tucked in between two big branches high in a tree. At my daughter's school, I told some others about the hawklet (is there such a word? I don't know, but I like it), so a bunch of us went to see the baby. Sure enough, the cute little guy was still there, although a bit scared at all the human attention he was receiving.

That same night, I took yet another walk to the park with my family. The setting sun was particularly large that evening and made a beautiful red and orange light show for us. I was greatly rewarded that day for my walking efforts.

When I was child, my parents loved to "window shop" along Beverly Boulevard in West Hollywood. Beverly Blvd. had elegant furniture stores in those days,and on Sundays we would be the only ones on the street. We would gaze in the windows and imagine how lovely this or that sofa would look in our humble apartment. All the stores were closed. The street was quiet, and kind of lonely, but now that I look back, it was pretty special to be walking around with my parents for no other reason than to appreciate nice things. We couldn't afford anything in those snazzy windows, but that didn't matter. The best part was that after we walked around for an hour or two, we would get hungry and go out to eat.

If working up an appetite isn't reason enough to walk around for the sake of it, than nothing is!

A friend of mine is going to New York City for the first time this summer. She asked me for suggestions on what to do. I said, after screaming in excitement when I first heard the news, that she should spend a lot of time "just walking." Just walking in Central Park or along Fifth Avenue could be the highlight of any trip to NYC! The same can be said for Europe. What I wouldn't give to "just walk" around London or Paris or Florence!

What I like about walking, really, is that it uses all the senses (even taste, if you are walking to get food). You have to be aware of your surroundings. You have to look right and look left. You have to listen. If there is a blossoming rose, then you have to smell it. Some flowers and plants are meant to be touched (others, not, especially if you are walking in the desert!). Perhaps it is a primal activity that hearkens back to our caveman/cave woman days when we had to forage for food. With so many modern conveniences at our disposal, having to be aware of our surroundings keeps our survival mode intact.

It's summer. Time to put on your comfortable sandals and just walk. Even if it means window shopping for furniture or clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment