Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Vision Boards -- Part 2


Last week I wrote about vision boards. Some of my loyal -- and royal --readers have asked me some excellent questions about the vision board process. I love questions and comments, by the way, so feel free to always ask away! I shall clarify the process...


First of all, a vision board should be part conscious, part sub-conscious. The conscious part looks like this: gather at least ten of your favorite magazines (varied subjects, too) and spend about two hours going through them and clipping images that stir your psyche. (I mentioned this in the previous blog -- don't "over think" your choices.) I usually start clipping photos a few weeks before I begin my board; sometimes if I am leisurely perusing a magazine and I come across a photo that "wows" me, I will clip it and save it for the following year. If the photo still wows me come January, then it is a keeper.


After you have a reasonable amount of clippings, I believe it is best to assemble your vision board without belaboring the process. In other words, don't spend too much time working on it. You want to have some spontaneity to it, some surprises, and even a little mysterious empty space. I don't usually plan exactly where I'm going to paste my pics, I just sort of go with the flow and let the pictures dictate where they want to go. But I think it is best to set aside a block of time -- say three hours or so -- to complete your board. Brew a pot of tea, turn on some of your favorite music, send the kids out with daddy and let the creative juices flow.


Also, one of my readers suggested that vision boards could also be used for specific projects. For instance, if you are dreaming of how you want to remodel your house -- find pics of cool homes you love and create your perfect interior decorating "vision." Or, if you want to write a novel, clip pics of what your characters might look like, where they live, what happens to them, etc. The list goes on and on.


Remember Ouija boards from our childhood? We were supposed to let the "spirits" guide our fingers to the answers, but in reality, it was our subconscious desires that really led the way!

Vision boards and Ouija boards are cousins; they require equal parts direction and inspiration.

Pictured here is LAST year's vision board. I think I was very heavy handed with the images, so this year I decided to leave more empty space (see previous post). However, I had many photos and quotes about writing -- my focus for 2010.

Good luck, darlings! May your fingers guide you to the perfect vision!

1 comment:

  1. Hey I love the idea of doing a vision board for a project. And do you realize your advertiser is Ouija Board, the game on playsushi.com?

    ReplyDelete